What is Relaxation?
We often forget to look after ourselves, this can lead to us feeling burnt out and lead us to finding it difficult to manage the challenges everyday throws at us. Practising relaxation techniques, whether they be quick “on the spot” ones or having a dedicated time to relax will have significant benefits to your life and stress levels.
Our Stretch and Relax sessions use a combination of gentle yoga based stretching, relaxation techniques and breathing practice to promote a sense of health and wellbeing. All sessions are run by an experienced Occupational Therapist.
Healthy Life Services are pleased to be able to offer Stretch and Relax sessions across Cambridgeshire and the local area.
What are the benefits of relaxation?
There are many physical and emotional benefits of relaxation and gentle stretching. The sessions will be tailored to take into account of any challenges or physical difficulties you may be experiencing.
- Reduce the physical impact of everyday life and stress on your body e.g. lowers blood pressure
- Increases ability to cope with stressful situations e.g. queuing at the supermarket / long meetings
- Reduces muscle tension e.g. aching shoulders
- Develops a sense of wellbeing e.g. sleeping better, having an awareness that you are stressed
- Increases self-esteem e.g. taking the time to look after yourself
- Increased flexibility and strength
What to expect from a session.
Each session will last for one hour and include a variety of gentle stretching, relaxation and breathing practice.
There are a wide variety of relaxation techniques that you can use to enhance your sense of health and wellbeing. Participating in sessions skills will ensure that you learn all techniques and are aware of how to apply them in your life. Below is a selection of the relaxation techniques you will learn:
- Progressive muscle relaxation – this is sometimes known as the “tense and release method”.
- Visualisation – guided imagery can produce a sense of wellbeing.
- Active relaxation – stretches / movements to induce a sense of relaxation.
- Breathing techniques – a variety of breathing techniques to use every day.
- Passive relaxation – imagining each part of the body relaxing.
- Yoga based gentle stretches to reduce tension levels.
- “On the sport relaxation techniques” – find out how to reduce stress levels when you are out and about. These are quick fix techniques that won’t have people looking at you strangely whilst you are practising them.
The skills learned need to be practised on a regular basis to get the maximum benefit.
Interested in joining a class?
© Website content is copyright of healthylifeservices 2016